Turn yourself or someone you love into a magical animatronic rainbow unicorn.
The little girl in your life will very likely refuse to ever take this hat off. (But you can wear it yourself while she's sleeping. We won't tell anyone).
A joystick in the pocket controls servos inside the ears, and the Circuit Playground's onboard LEDs animate the magical glowing rainbow unicorn horn.
We've kept this project fairly simple -- it's a great first step into the world of robotics and servos. This technique will work on any animal hat with attached ears, so if your inner animal is a panda or a fox or some other critter, go nuts. The world is your animatronic playground.
To use standard AA batteries (safer, recommended if this will be worn by a child):
or, for rechargeable power (longer life but slight fire hazard, use with knowledge of the risks):
- Hat with Ears and pockets: I used this Magicorn Hat from Smoko
- 3mm Light Pipe: I used these LED shoelaces from Flammi
- 3d Printed Circuit Playground case: download and print your own or order from Shapeways
- Soldering iron & accessories
- 3d Printer (optional)
- Heat Gun
- Hot Glue gun or E6000 glue
- Needle & thread