Using the Introducing Trinket tutorial, ensure you have the Arduino integrated development environment (IDE) downloaded and installed for your operating system.
Remember you must press the hardware reset button on the Trinket then quickly press upload in the Arduino software to upload a sketch. If you get an error, try the reset-upload process again. If you continually cannot load the blink sketch, check to make sure the Trinket is connected and the Arduino IDE software has all the required changes.
Before loading the color organ program, you need to install the Adafruit Neopixel Library.
Open up the Arduino library manager:
Search for the Adafruit Neopixel library and install it
We also have a great tutorial on Arduino library installation at:
Now you are ready to copy the sketch on the next page to control the color organ.
For errors in the Arduino IDE software:
- Ensure you have installed Trinket support in the boards manager, as listed in the Introducing Trinket tutorial.
- Ensure you have installed the Adafruit NeoPixel library.
- Ensure you push the Trinket on board reset button before uploading your sketch, the red LED will blink when ready for upload, there is a 10 second window to do this.
- If you place a large amount of code or other libraries in a sketch, it is very easy to exceed the available code space on the Trinket. If your program absolutely will not fit, consider switching to an Arduino Uno, Adafruit Boarduino, or Adafruit Flora with standard libraries.
- If you get errors similar to the one below, you may have included decimal numbers and the floating point library was added by the Arduino IDE, exceeding the amount of program space available.
arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr25/crttn85.o:(.init9+0x2):relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol `exit' defined in .fini9 section in /arduino-1.0.1/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/avr25\libgcc.a(_exit.o)