The following section focuses on investigating the different concepts that govern the operation of a solar cell.
Do EACH of the following and submit to your instructor:
- Identify and describe the photoelectric effect.
- Identify and describe three different types of solar cells, their advantages and disadvantages.
- Identify and describe the layers that make up a typical cell.
- Identify and describe the following terminology:
- Effective surface area (Aeff)
- Open circuit voltage (Voc)
- Short circuit current (Isc)
- Power output (Psa)
- Input power density (Pin)
- Efficiency (ɳ)
- Identify and describe the hardware that makes up a panel.
- Identify and describe how individual cells are connected to make a panel.
- Describe why solar technology might be cost prohibitive.
- What can be done to lower the cost?
- Identify the equipment and describe the method in which solar panels are connected to the electrical grid.
- Identify and describe two methods for storing the electrical energy produced by your solar cell.