Using DotStar LED strips we can create a flexible, portable light source for video and photography. It can squish into small spaces, easily hang up on location, and it’s fun and simple to make.
Different lighting situations call for a different color temperature of light, so we’ll combine warm and cool white LED strips and program a Pro Trinket to adjust the light with a four-button membrane keypad.
We saw a crowdfunding campaign a while back for something similar, and when it was canceled we still wanted one. Now that we have these DotStar LED strips in the shop we can build it together.
Before you begin, read/watch the following guides:
To build this project, you will need:
- Pro Trinket 5V
- Adafruit DotStar LED strip in warm and cool white (1m each)
- Membrane keypad
- 4400mAh USB battery pack
- Silicone coated 26ga stranded wire in four colors
- Soldering iron and supplies
- Premium female jumper wires
- Heat shrink tubing
- Silicone adhesive such as Permatex 66B
- Durable fabric
- Velcro tape
- Sewing machine
- D-rings or clasps to make attachment points (optional)
- Needle & thread