Some interesting ways to consider extending the project are:
- Automatic calibration by detecting the position of the laser dot on the video and automatically moving the laser into the position of the corners.
- Using a transistor to turn on/off the laser pointer, to extra-confuse-ify the cat!
- Limiting the target clicks to only fall within the target area.
- Building a public, internet-facing layer on top of the web application which would allow people on the internet to take turns playing with your cat.
- Build the laser toy into a stand-alone enclosure with a servo controlled treat dispenser to reward kitty's play.
- Integrate cat face detection to prevent targeting the cat's face.
- Use the Raspberry Pi camera and an MJPEG encoder to capture video directly from the Raspberry Pi. Serve the video through web sockets to add support for IE.