The system contains "Nodes" which look simply to be icons that you drag and drop on to the canvas and wire together. Each Node offers different functionality which can range from a simple debug node to be able to see what's going on in your flow, through to a Raspberry Pi node which allows you to read and write to the GPIO pins of your Pi.
To give an example of what can be done here is my home twitter account telling me where I'm currently located and whether it is going to rain any time soon. I even have a Google maps link thrown in for good measure.
- An App on my phone called MQTTitude send my location to Node-Red
- The basic framework of my twitter message is then created in a function node
- I take my location and query Forecast.io for the weather at that location
- The returned data is then formatted in to my tweet message using further function nodes
- The message is then sent to a Tweet node and tweeted for me
So now I've sold you the idea.. lets get to the installation!