In this project we’re building a view master inspired device using Adafruit’s PyPortal.
The eyepiece makes the viewing experience feel immersive and novel.
When you pull the down on the crank, it goes through the image on the screen like a slideshow.
The mechanism uses a compression spring so it can spring back when it’s released.
The case design is 3D printed and uses fasteners to secure all the components in the assembly.
For portability it uses PowerBoost and battery.
Inside are pieces of Conductive Nylon Tape that close a switch when the crank is pulled.
Code is written in Circuit Python and uses Adafruit’s libraries to make a slideshow.
Use the Adafruit PyPortal libraries to display bitmap images from either the internal storage or micro SD card.
The images actually fade in and out when cycling through them so it makes for nice and smooth effect.
- Adafruit PyPortal
- Adafruit PowerBoost 1000C
- 3.7v 2000mAh lipo battery
- Slide Switch
- 2x 3-pin JST cables
- Conductive Nylon Fabric Tape (5mm wide / 10m)
- Mini Oval Speaker (optional)
- Compression Spring 5/16x1 1/2 x .02" (7.9x38x.5mm)
- Cut 20.5mm short
- 4x M3x16mm (for EyePiece Assembly)
- 4x M3x10mm (for PyPortal Assembly)
- 4x M3x5mm (for Lid Assembly)
- 4x M2.5x5mm (for PowerBoost)