To use all the amazing features of your PyPortal with CircuitPython, you must first install a number of libraries. This page covers that process.
Download the Adafruit CircuitPython Library Bundle. You can find the latest release here:
Download the adafruit-circuitpython-bundle-*.x-mpy-*.zip bundle zip file where *.x MATCHES THE VERSION OF CIRCUITPYTHON YOU INSTALLED, and unzip a folder of the same name. Inside you'll find a lib folder. You have two options:
- You can add the lib folder to your CIRCUITPY drive. This will ensure you have all the drivers. But it will take a bunch of space on the 8 MB disk
- Add each library as you need it, this will reduce the space usage but you'll need to put in a little more effort.
At a minimum we recommend the following libraries, in fact we more than recommend. They're basically required. So grab them and install them into CIRCUITPY/lib now!
- adafruit_esp32spi - This is the library that gives you internet access via the ESP32 using (you guessed it!) SPI transport. You need this for anything Internet
- adafruit_requests - This library allows us to perform HTTP requests and get responses back from servers. GET/POST/PUT/PATCH - they're all in here!
- adafruit_pyportal - This is our friendly wrapper library that does a lot of our projects, displays graphics and text, fetches data from the internet. Nearly all of our projects depend on it!
- adafruit_touchscreen - a library for reading touches from the resistive touchscreen. Handles all the analog noodling, rotation and calibration for you.
- adafruit_io - this library helps connect the PyPortal to our free datalogging and viewing service
- adafruit_imageload - an image display helper, required for any graphics!
- adafruit_display_text - not surprisingly, it displays text on the screen
- adafruit_bitmap_font - we have fancy font support, and its easy to make new fonts. This library reads and parses font files.
- adafruit_slideshow - for making image slideshows - handy for quick display of graphics and sound
- neopixel - for controlling the onboard neopixel
- adafruit_adt7410 - library to read the temperature from the on-board Analog Devices ADT7410 precision temperature sensor
- adafruit_sdcard - support for reading/writing data from the onboard SD card slot.
- adafruit_bus_device - low level support for I2C/SPI