The very first step is to make a list of all the wondrous features you'd like for your bike. I talked to some longtime Burner friends and got a ton of great ideas. I also made a Pinterest board with some fun ideas I'd like to try.
- A good headlight for seeing in the dark
- NeoPixels on the frame so you can be seen
- A basket for carrying water and other stuff
- A tall tail-fin "flag" so you can be seen from a distance
- Daytime color -- paint, bling, and fun fur
- Audio sound system / bluetooth speaker
- POV Spoke wheels that show images as you move
- Multiple bikes synched together for group riding
- A "find my bike" feature that makes it blink in the dark from a distance
There are so many ideas to have. One feels almost attacked by the flock of ideas!
The planning stage is a great time to get realistic about what your essentials are, how much time you have, and what can be realistically done with a reasonable battery pack and budget.
For this project, I'm going to start with the essentials, then move to the extras if I've got the time. The pie-in-the-sky ideas probably should have been started September of last year, the day I got home from the last festival of the season, but I'll give some suggestions for after-market solutions you can buy.