The Pi Zero W is a very minimal computer, so it requires a little work to get it up and running.
We have a guide on how to set up your Pi Zero W 'headless' which is how we recommend you get started. Check out the guide for how to do that!
Here's the quick-start for people with some experience:
- Download the latest 'Lite' Raspbian to your computer
- Burn the Lite Raspbian to your micro SD card using your computer
- Re-plug the SD card into your computer (don't use your Pi yet!) and set up your wifi connection by editing supplicant.conf
- Activate SSH support
- Plug the SD card into the Pi Zero W
- If you have an HDMI monitor we recommend connecting it up via the mini HDMI adapter we provide in the budget pack - so you can see that it's booting OK
- Plug in power to the Pi Zero W - you will see the green LED flicker a little. The Pi Zero will reboot while it sets up so wait a good 10 minutes
- If you are running Windows on your computer, install Bonjour support so you can use .local names, you'll need to reboot Windows after installation
- You can then ssh into raspberrypi.local