Adafruit's Bluefruit LE Connect app is a free, multi-faceted Bluetooth LE toolkit that we'll use to control the tie's lighting and animation. Download and install the app on your mobile device below:
Ensure your mobile device has Bluetooth enabled, and launch the app. The startup screen will display a list of nearby Bluetooth LE devices the app can connect to.
Find the device with a name beginning with CIRCUITPY and click Connect on the button to the right.
Once connected, tap the table row titled Controller. This is the module we'll use to control the tie's color and animations.
The tie has 4 animation modes:
- Audio Meter - Live sound level detected by the CPB
- Rainbow Cycle - All LEDs fade across color spectrum
- Larsen Scanner - LEDs move up & down, ‘cylon’ style
- Solid Color - All LEDs same color
From the Controller view, tap Control Pad. A game controller button interface will appear.
Here's a breakdown of what each Control Pad button does:
- Button 1 – change to Audio Meter mode
- Button 2 – change to Rainbow Cycle mode
- Button 3 – change to Larsen Scanner mode
- Button 4 – change to Solid Color mode
- Up Arrow Button - Speed up Larsen Scanner
- Down Arrow Button - Slow down Larsen Scanner
From the Controller view, tap Color Picker – a color wheel interface will appear. The Color Picker will allow you to change the color of the Larsen Scanner and Solid Color animation modes.
Touch a point on the color wheel to select a hue and drag the slider below to adjust color brightness. Press the Send button to send color data to the tie.