- Power the EZ-Key with 3-16VDC power. Batteries work great: 3 or 4 alkaline or rechargeable 1.5V, a 9V, Lithium Ion/Polymer, Lead acid... Whatever you have!
- Pair the EZ-Key to your computer, laptop, tablet or phone
- Connect one side of a switch to GPIO #0 through #11. Connect the other side to Ground.
- Open up a notepad or text editor on the paired computer
- Press the switch to send a key code
Since GPIO #0 through #3 are arrow keys, they might be more difficult to detect if the notepad software is empty. Try GPIO #4 through #11 which send printable characters
When a switch is pressed, a KEYDOWN command is sent, when it is release, a matching KEYUP goes out. You can have up to 6 switches pressed at once and it will be like they were pressed all at the same time. 6 is a strict limit of Bluetooth.
Don't forget: You don't have to use a plain clicky switch! Try tilt sensors, reed switches, conductive velcro, big stompy buttons, arcade joysticks, ANYTHING that makes/breaks two contacts
Here is the default switch-to-key mapping:
- #0 - Up Arrow
- #1 - Down Arrow
- #2 - Left Arrow
- #3 - Right Arrow
- #4 - Return
- #5 - Space
- #6 - the number '1'
- #7 - the number '2'
- #8 - lowercase 'w'
- #9 - lowercase 'a'
- #10 - lowercase 's'
- #11 - lowercase 'd'