Build your own flashy footwear! This project is a major upgrade to our popular Firewalker Sneakers tutorial, but this time using GEMMA and a vibration sensor to trigger animations on the LED strip encircling the soles of your new favorite sneakers.
GEMMA didn't exist yet when we first made the Firewalkers!
Before you begin, you should read up on the following prerequisite guides:
- Introducing Gemma M0 guide or Introducing GEMMA guide
- NeoPixel Uberguide
- Battery Powering Your Wearable Electronics
- Adafruit Guide to Excellent Soldering
For this project you will need:
- 2x Gemma M0 or Gemma v2 Microcontrollers
- 2x Medium vibration sensor (you could try fast and slow varieties as well)
- 2x 500mAh lipoly batteries and at least one charger
- 4x Pack of mini NeoPixels (16-20 pixels for one pair of shoes)
- 2m of 60/m NeoPixel strip in white or black
- 26awg and 30awg silicone coated stranded wire in color(s) of your choice
- Sewing needle and thread
- access to a 3D printer and flexible filament for battery pockets (try 3D hubs for local printers)
- Soldering tools and supplies
- Permatex 66B silicone adhesive (tube or powerbead can)
- Latex or nitrile gloves
- Rubber bands
Video for gifs by Mike Farino.