To build this project you'll need the following hardware:
- Raspberry Pi, the model B+, model B, or model A will work.
- RTL-SDR software radio USB dongle
- Note that you can use any tuner supported by the RTL-SDR library.
- 3.5" PiTFT display
- Right now the software is optimized to run on the 480x320 3.5" PiTFT display. If you want to get your hands dirty in the code it should be possible to port it to smaller displays like the 320x240 2.8" PiTFT by changing font sizes and other dimensions.
You might also consider some extra parts to extend the project:
- MCX jack to BNC or SMA adapters to plug in an external antenna.
- Powerboost charger and rechargeable battery, or a big portable phone charger to power the project on the go.
Once you have the parts assembling the project is very easy.
Follow the 3.5" PiTFT guide to learn how to install and use the PiTFT. Make sure to start with the easy install PiTFT image so you can get up and running as quickly as possible. Don't go forward until you have the PiTFT working with the Raspberry Pi!
Finally plug in the RTL-SDR dongle to a USB port on the Raspberry Pi.
That's it, your hardware is ready to go! Continue on to learn how to install the software for this project.