You'll need the following tools and items:
- Wire strippers with a 20 AWG or 18 AWG slot
- Wire cutters (these can be part of the wire strippers)
- Soldering iron
- Third hand tool
- Copper tape
- Heat shrink in 1/4" and 1/8" diameter, 1:2 or 1:3
- Wire to solder the EL to
- Heat shrinker, Heat gun, hair dryer, lighter, you can also just use the edge of your soldering iron
- Utility knife, hobby knife (x-acto), box-cutter, razor blade, etc
Next, we'll need to remove the outer coating. This is the hardest part of the process so don't be disappointed if it takes a few tries to get it right! Use the 20 AWG or 18 AWG slot and strip off the PVC coating about 1/2" (1 cm) away from the end.
You may find heating the end of the EL wire with a heat gun makes the sheath soft allows it to pull off easily, leaving the corona wires intact. (Tip from a customer!)
Heat up your soldering iron to 650 degrees F and make sure its hot by melting solder onto the tip, it should melt easily. Now press the tip of the iron to the two wires and copper tape and quickly dab some solder in. Then remove the iron. This should not take more than a second or two or the EL wire casing will melt.