- Finding something fun to measure!
- Seeing if your pet can hear the sensor, some animals can hear ultrasound.
- Checking the maximum range for different objects and the behaviour of the sensor for no reflection ("infinity").
- Checking and explaining the behaviour for very close objects.
- Adding calibration offsets and coefficients to the program based on testing with one or more sensors.
- Determining if sensors can be confused by other sensors operating in the same space.
- Measuring the cone angle for the sensor and exploring physical techniques for reducing this.
- Testing if fast movement affects sensor's ability to measure distance.
- Exploring techniques for enhancing accuracy for stationary objects.
- Checking the behaviour of the standard HC-SR04 at 3.3V.
- Testing the 3.3V tolerant HC-SR04 variants. These may be red and labelled as "1652".
- Explore other similar sensors like the (single transducer) Maxbotix range and ones that use different techniques:
- SHARP sensors with infrared arrays,
- STMicroelectronics Time of Flight (ToF) sensors.
This guide was first published on Sep 17, 2018. It was last updated on Sep 17, 2018.
This page (Going Further) was last updated on Nov 27, 2021.
Text editor powered by tinymce.