Searching for a simple costume project to bring your Unikitty or Lady Rainicorn to the next level? 3D print a flexible unicorn horn and illuminate it from within with NeoPixels and a GEMMA M0, GEMMA v1 or GEMMA v2 based microcontroller. Or forget the electronics and use glow in the dark NinjaFlex filament for a green glow with no batteries required.
This is a pretty quick soldering project that is suitable for attentive beginners! Prerequisite guides:
For this project you will need:
- Ninjaflex filament in white, translucent, or glow-in-the-dark
- 2 NeoPixel Sticks
- The GEMMA M0 is recommended over the GEMMA v1 or GEMMA v2. Either will work.
- 500Ah lipoly battery and charger
- Silicone coated wire in three colors
- Grosgrain ribbon and hair elastic OR baseball cap
- Fiberfill (optional)
- Needle and thread
- Soldering tools and supplies
- 3D printer
- seam ripper
- double-stick foam tape
- sewing machine (optional)
Unicorn glamour shots by Andrew Tingle.